ABA Free Legal Answers - New York (Free Online Brief Legal Advice & Counsel)
To Volunteer, Contact:
To volunteer navigate to https://ny.freelegalanswers.org/ and select "Attorney Registration"
Online ResourceStatewide, NY n/a
- Phone: n/a
- Website: https://ny.freelegalanswers.org/
Free Legal Answers is a virtual legal advice clinic. Qualifying users post their civil legal question to their state's website. Users will then be emailed when their question receives a response. Attorney volunteers, who must be authorized to provide pro bono assistance in their state, log in to the website, select questions to answer, and provide legal information and advice. Volunteer attorneys will not answer criminal law questions. Question topics cover a range of categories including consumer debt, personal injury, worker's compensation, school discipline, housing, and family/divorce/custody.
This is a remote volunteer pro bono opportunity.
ABA Free Legal Answers (Federal: Immigration and Veterans)
ABA Free Legal Answers is a virtual legal advice clinic in a number of states for state-specific civil legal issues. Qualified users may post legal questions, and authorized volunteer attorneys may provide legal advice. ABA Free Legal Answers’ federal focuses on federal veteran and immigration legal issues.
- Veteran Federal Issues: Veterans—along with eligible dependents and survivors—who meet financial eligibility guidelines may submit questions about veterans’ issues involving discharge upgrades, VA disability and other VA benefits, and more. Volunteer attorneys who are licensed in good standing in their jurisdiction, and who are accredited with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, are eligible to volunteer on the site to view and answer veterans’ questions without any formal representation.
- Immigration: Immigrants or petitioning family members can submit question about deportation, asylum, green cards, work permits, DACA, children’s cases, employment-based immigration, citizenship, and other immigration issues. The ABA has partnered with American Immigration Lawyers Association (“AILA”), whose members are automatically qualified to answer immigration questions on the site.
Find more information and sign up to get involved on https://abafederal.freelegalanswers.org. To help with other state-specific legal issues, visit the main ABA Free Legal Answers website, www.ABAFreeLegalAnswers.org.
- State(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: New York
- Area of law: Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Disaster and Crisis Assistance, Education, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Health, Homeless, Housing, Public Benefits
- Opportunities For: Lawyers, Senior Lawyers, Small and medium law firm attorneys
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: No
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- Training / Supervision Comments: All attorneys are required to watch this video on the ethics of limited scope representation.
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Long Distance Opportunities: Conduct Research
- Other Long Distance Opportunities: provide brief legal advice to clients
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes