ABA Free Legal Answers - New York (Free Online Brief Legal Advice & Counsel)
To Volunteer, Contact:
Online ResourceStatewide, NY n/a
- Phone: n/a
- Website: https://ny.freelegalanswers.org/
Free Legal Answers is a virtual legal advice clinic. Qualifying users post their civil legal question to their state's website. Users will then be emailed when their question receives a response. Attorney volunteers, who must be authorized to provide pro bono assistance in their state, log in to the website, select questions to answer, and provide legal information and advice. Volunteer attorneys will not answer criminal law questions. Question topics cover a range of categories including consumer debt, personal injury, worker's compensation, school discipline, housing, and family/divorce/custody.
This is a remote volunteer pro bono opportunity.
- State(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: New York
- Area of law: Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Disaster and Emergency Assistance, Education, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Health, Homeless, Housing, Public Benefits
- Opportunities For: Lawyers, Senior Lawyers, Small and medium law firm attorneys
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: No
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- Training / Supervision Comments: All attorneys are required to watch this video on the ethics of limited scope representation.
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Long Distance Opportunities: Conduct Research
- Other Long Distance Opportunities: provide brief legal advice to clients
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes