American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania
To Volunteer, Contact:
See Full Description for Contact Information for Each Office
PO Box 40008Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Phone: 215-592-1513
- Website: http://www.aclupa.org/supportus/volunteer/
ACLU is the nation's foremost advocate of freedom, liberty, and equality. Its Main objective is to preserve for each new generation all of the protections guaranteed especially by the Constitution's Bill of Rights, 13th, 14th, 15th & 19th amendments.
The ACLU engages in litigation, lobbying, and public education on an array of issues affecting civil liberties The ACLU provides direct legal assistance and referrals for pro bono legal representation in cases involving free speech, religious liberty, due process and the right to counsel, gay and lesbian rights, and discrimination.
The ACLU of Pennsylvania is always looking for volunteers to help respond to complaints, to do routine office tasks, to take legal cases, to write for its newsletters, and to do graphic design, among other things.
Because the ACLU is a nonprofit organization with limited resources, they rely on volunteers to help in every aspect of their work. Some volunteers make a regular weekly commitment to volunteer, others help out at periodic events or public education programs. Most of its volunteer opportunities are in one of its three offices:
P.O. Box 60173
Philadelphia, PA 19102
247 Fort Pitt Blvd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
P.O. Box 11761
Harrisburg, PA 17108
To volunteer, visit the "Website" link above and fill out the Volunteer Inquiry Form to let the ACLU know how you would like to help!
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Adams, Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Berks, Blair, Bradford, Bucks, Butler, Cambria, Cameron, Carbon, Centre, Chester, Clarion, Clearfield, Clinton, Columbia, Crawford, Cumberland, Dauphin, Delaware, Elk, Erie, Fayette, Forest, Franklin, Fulton, Greene, Huntingdon, Indiana, Jefferson, Juniata, Lackawanna, Lancaster, Lawrence, Lebanon, Lehigh, Luzerne, Lycoming, McKean, Mercer, Mifflin, Monroe, Montgomery, Montour, Northampton, Northumberland, Perry, Philadelphia, Pike, Potter, Schuylkill, Snyder, Somerset, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Tioga, Union, Venango, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Westmoreland, Wyoming, York
- Area of law: Civil Rights, Criminal Appeals, Death Penalty, Disability, Immigration & Naturalization, Prisoners, Cyber-Liberties; Free Speech; Patriot Act; Privacy; Racial Justice; Religious Liberty; Reproductive Freedom; Security & Civil Liberties; Student & Youth Rights; Voting Issues
- Populations Served: General Public
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: No
- Training Provided: No
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No