Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans (CIANA)
To Volunteer, Contact:
31-09 Newtown Ave., Suite 411Astoria, NY 11102
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 7185454040
- Website: http://www.cianainc.org/
- Email: email@example.com
The Center for the Integration & Advancement of New Americans (CIANA) is a social services organization that works to integrate new immigrants from South Asia, the Middle East, and North Africa into American society, help them adjust to American life and culture, and assist in their economic and social advancement.
Our mission is to prevent the growing marginalization of new immigrants and refugees from highly traditional societies through special transitional services, leading to their successful integration into the socio-economic and civic life of America while continuing to maintain pride in their cultural heritage.
We are looking for Volunteer Immigration Attorneys to provide on-site pro bono assistance to clients including but not limited changes of status, petitions for family members, DACA renewal, and N-400 applications. Those with experience can provide more extensive consultations on asylum, deportation, etc.
There is a stipend available for this position
On-site volunteers must give at least 4 hours per week on a consistent basis. Afternoons preferred, evenings available.
Must be a licensed immigration attorney with at least 2 years of immigration experience.
- State(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: New York
- Area of law: Immigration & Naturalization, Public Benefits
- Populations Served: Asylum Seekers, Communities of Color, Immigrant youth and unaccompanied minors, Individuals who are not in legal immigration status, Working poor and unemployed
- Opportunities For: Lawyers, Mentors/consultants, Senior Lawyers, Small and medium law firm attorneys
- Need for non-English services: Arabic, Bengali, French, Hindi, Portuguese, Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Evenings, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: No
- Training Provided: No
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Other Case Load Requirements: Minimum 4 hours per week on a consistent basis, 4-6 clients/week
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client intake and screening, Draft legal documents (e.g., briefs), Mentor volunteer lawyers or law students, Prepare legal education materials, Translate legal documents
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No