Housing Conservation Coordinators
To Volunteer, Contact:
Shawn Blumberg212-541-5996 ext. 30
777 10th AvenueNew York, NY 10019
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 212-541-5996
- Fax: 212-541-5966
- Website: http://www.hcc-nyc.org/volunteer/probono.htm
Housing Conservation Coordinators (HCC) is seeking attorneys to volunteer for two hours at our Monday night legal clinic. Housing attorneys admitted to the Bar of New York and in good-standing are eligible.
Any New York City resident can visit HCC's legal clinic, regardless of income. Our volunteer lawyers provide brief legal advice, explain basic legal rights and often refer visitors to other legal resources/organizations/agencies around New York City. The questions are predominately about housing and housing-related legal issues.
The Clinic is for consultations only. Visitors do not retain the volunteer attorneys. While most visitors come for advice on housing-related matters, attorneys may field questions about other basic, legal matters, as well.
Clinics starts at 7:00pm and ends no later than 9:00pm. To keep the clinic manageable and within that time period, sign-up is limited to eight clients.
HCC's office is located on the West Side of Manhattan between 52nd and 53rd Streets. The closest subway stops to us are the 50th Street station on the C and E lines, the 57th and 49th Street stations on the Broadway line (N/Q/R/W) and the 50th Street station on the 1.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: NY (Manhattan)
- Area of law: Housing
- Populations Served: Low Income
- Opportunities For: Lawyers
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Evenings, specifically Monday evenings from 7pm to 9pm
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: No
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: Yes
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- Training / Supervision Comments: Training is only provided by HCC periodically; however, successful completion of the CLE training provided by New York City Housing Court qualifies non-housing attorneys to volunteer at the legal clinic.
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client counseling (e.g., brief advice)
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No