California Senior Legal Hotline (Legal Services of Northern CA)
To Volunteer, Contact:
Rachel Baca (office manager)916 551-2145
505 12th StreetSacramento, CA 95814
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 916 551-2145 (administrative line)
- Fax: 916 551-2197
- Website: http://www.slh.lsnc.net
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Senior Legal Hotline provides free legal assistance to Sacramento residents age 60 years and over on almost any civil issue. Some areas we commonly advise clients on are estate planning, probate, grandparent rights, landlord/tenant disputes, locating pensions, and eligibility for public benefits. SLH also has an in-house phone mediation program, and a pension counseling project that serves callers of all ages and income levels who live or have worked in California, Arizona, Nevada or Hawaii.
We are always seeking volunteer attorneys to advise and assist our callers by phone. Volunteers work alongside staff returning calls to clients, offering legal advice regarding the client's problem, sending written information and in some cases, providing additional services such as document review, calls or letters to adversaries, family members or other parties, and some negotiation.
Time commitment is negotiable, although to allow for the best training and orientation, a minimum of 12 hours a month for at least six months is preferred. More is preferable, and consistency is especially important while getting started. Actual hours for our currently active volunteers vary widely.
For more information please call us at (916) 551-2145.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Sacramento
- Area of law: Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Elder Law, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Foreclosure, Health, Housing, Immigration & Naturalization, Life Planning, Nonprofit Organizations, Public Benefits, Taxes, Veterans
- Populations Served: Elderly, Low Income, Nonprofits, State Residents
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Arabic, Armenian, Bengali, Cantonese Chinese, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, German, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hindi, Hmong, Italian, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Kurdish, Laotian, Malay-Indonesian, Mandarin Chinese, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Slovak, Somali, Spanish, Sudanese, Swahili, Tagalog, Taiwanese, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: Yes
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No