Making the Case for Life: Investigation, Capital Voir Dire, and Mitigation in Capital Cases [Virtual]
Thursday August 27
Friday August 28 2020
- By: NACDL
- ALL DAY
- Time Zone: Central Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel739 Canal St.New Orleans, United States
- Source: Misc National Sites > Death Penalty
Make the case...for your client's life at NACDL's 22nd Annual Capital Case Seminar.
Making the Case for Life is designed to help capital defenders, investigators, and mitigation specialists. Participants will hear cutting-edge presentations regarding pretrial investigations, capital jury selection, new perspectives on discovering the story of the client and mitigation evidence. Attendees will learn from seasoned capital trial lawyers, nationally-known law professors, and jury consultants, who will offer their personal perspectives, advice, and proven strategies for making the best case for life.
If you are handling, or involved in the defense of a client who is facing the death penalty, then this is a must-attend seminar for you!
Topics & Faculty:
1. KEYNOTE ADDRESS: Batson, History & Race: A Case Study - Tucker Carrington, Co-Author of The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist (Public Affairs 2018)
2. Opening Motivation - Sister Helen Prejean (New Orleans, LA)
3. Improving Attorney-Client Relationships - Calvin Duncan, Exoneree (New Orleans, LA)
4. Knowing What You Don't Know: Investigating a Capital Case - Marc Bookman (Philadelphia, PA)
5. Aggressive Investigation in Capital Cases - Richard Kammen (Indianapolis, IN)
6. Storytelling for Life - Chris Adams (Charleston, SC)
7. Staking Out the Story - The Path to Life - Richard Jasper (New York, NY)
8. Preparing for What's Next: Creative Motions Practice in a Capital Case - Marc Bookman (Philadelphia, PA)
9. Combining Non-Capital and Capital Voir Dire - Richard Kammen (Indianapolis, IN)
10. Colorado Voir Dire Method - Tamara Brady (Greeley, CO) & David Wymore (Boulder, CO)
11. The Capital Jury Project - Prof. Scott E. Sundby (Coral Gables, FL)
12. Mental Health as Mitigation - Tamara Brady (Greeley, CO)
13. Mitigation - Felicia Sullivan (Jacksonville Beach, FL)
14. Making RICO Work For You in a Capital Case by Frontloading Mitigation - Richard Jasper (New York, NY)
- CLE Credit Comments: NACDL is an accredited provider of CLE in all states requiring mandatory CLE Training. NACDL will apply for at least 14.50 general credit hours in every state requiring pre-approval. Approved hours for each state will be identified at the seminar. Some states, IL, GA, NC, NE, NM, PA and UT require additional fees by the attendee in order to receive credit.