Welcome to the NYC Pro Bono Center!
This site is for lawyers, law students & legal professionals who are engaged or interested in pro bono in New York City and committed to our shared vision of equal access to justice for all.
Join this site to gain access to information about pro bono volunteer opportunities, monthly training and public interest events, pro bono news, and sample documents, training materials and practice resources to help you take and support your pro bono case. The NYC Pro Bono Center is a joint initiative of the City Bar Justice Center, the Legal Aid Society and Pro Bono Net. Our pro bono justice community is made up of a diverse network of over 9,000 members including civil legal aid attorneys, law firms, private attorneys and law students. Join us -- membership is free!
"...pro bono is more than an obligation: it’s also a journey and an adventure." (Bill Lienhard, Executive Director, VOLS New York)
Explore what training and public interest events are coming up for you to join. We curate this monthly.
Browse through training materials, sample documents and CLE presentations.
Want to know what's new in the access to justice and pro bono community?
Looking for inspiration? Explore our volunteer spotlight section, updated monthly!
Learn more about probono.net/ny.
If you're looking for dedicated resources on a specific subject area, don't forget to check our New York and National Practice areas listed on the left hand side, or visit probono.net. If you're looking for information about NY's 50 Hour requirement, click here.
Monday Night Law Clinic - Looking for Volunteers
The NYC Bar Association's monthly Monday Night Law clinic are looking for volunteers. Learn More
New Resources in the Library
Access training materials from the Legal Aid Society, including Not-for-Profit Incorporation (Dec 2015), How to Draft a Will for Low-Income Seniors (January 2016), and Housing Preservation Actions (January 2016).
Each year in the United States, 7.5 million people are stalked. To promote awareness of National Stalking Awareness Month, we thank Legal Services NYC & the National Stalking Resource Center for sharing their training: "What Legal Services Attorneys, Paralegals, and Social Workers Need to Know About Stalking".
Pro Bono Net’s co-founder and executive director, Mark O’Brien, spoke on a panel in July discussing challenges and solutions for attorneys interested in pro bono work, but who may not have the resources and support available to attorneys in Big Law. Click here to access the resources in the library or read a volunteer profile by John Ogden, the moderator of this program, and Co-Chair of the Outside Big Law Sub-Committee.
New Attorney Emeritus Program Pages
The Attorney Emeritus Program provides an exciting avenue for experienced lawyers to use their expertise on behalf of New Yorkers in need. Attorneys in good standing who are 55 years of age or older and have practiced for at least 10 years will be able to apply for a new registration status - "Attorney Emeritus". Learn More
On September 14, 2012, the New York State Court of Appeals adopted a new rule requiring applicants for admission to the New York State bar to perform 50 hours of pro bono services. New York is the first jurisdiction in the United States to require pro bono service as a condition for bar applications to become licensed for the practice of law. Some next steps:
- Click here to find out more information about the Rule on the NY Courts website, including links to helpful frequently asked questions about the rule, and useful background information.
- Take advantage of our NY Pro Bono Opportunities Guide to search for relevant opportunities using the "student" search filter. Don't forget to join the NYC Pro Bono Center if you want to stay up to date on new opportunities and trainings & receive them in your inbox monthly.
- We recently featured an in-depth profile of Chris Mendez, and his volunteer journey through NY's 50 Hour Requirement. You can read it here.
- The Legal Aid Society is actively looking for volunteers for its Access to Benefits (A2B) Helpline. Interested in finding out more about this opportunity? Learn More Here
- New York Legal Assistance Group has a fantastic array of tailored opportunities, including the NYLAG Mobile Health Unit. Learn More
Pro Bono projects, clinics & short-term opportunities
The "New Opportunities" area is new to the NYC Pro Bono Center and features short-term and limited scope pro bono opportunities such as clinics or volunteer lawyer for a day programs and change frequently. These opportunities target law students, attorneys, small and solo practitioners and in-house counsel. Be sure to review our NYC Pro Bono Center Monthly Newsletter to stay up to date on these types of opportunities and receive them straight to your inbox. All members of the NYC Pro Bono Center receive this on enrollment.
Did You Know...
You can earn CLE credits for doing pro bono work? Read the Pro Bono CLE information and rules on the NY Courts website for detailed information on how to earn pro bono CLE credit.
- National Celebrate Pro Bono Week, Oct 23 - Oct 29
- Introduction to Consumer Bankruptcy Law, Oct 24
- Health Law Training - Day 1 (NJ), Oct 25
- IIRIRA & AEDPA Twenty Years Later: Legal Representation Challenges in New York and Beyond, Oct 25
- Meeting the Communication Needs of Students with Disabilities: The Interplay Between the ADA and the IDEA (Webinar), Oct 25
- View more
- Fordham Taps Retired Chief Judge to Lead Justice Initiative, Oct 20
- Tenant advocates push for legal aid bill in D.C. Council, Oct 20
- Can Affordable Housing Activists Save New York?, Oct 19
- The Truth About Election Rigging and Voter Fraud, Oct 19
- IAN Presents their Fifth Annual E-Conference Fundraiser, Oct 19
- View more
User Feedback Survey
- Take our user feedback survey