Advocating for Veterans: The Basics on VA Benefits, Discharge Upgrades and Veteran Cultural Competency 2018
- ALL DAY
- By: Practising Law Institute
- Source: Georgia > Military Legal Assistance Program
- Attorneys / Legal Services
Why You Should Attend
There are over 21 million veterans in the U.S.; many of them are not aware of the benefits to which they are entitled. Medical and financial assistance are available to those who have served in the military, but many veterans most in need are not receiving VA benefits. Navigating the VA claims system and applying for discharge upgrades before the Department of Defense are difficult and complex processes. Attorneys play an essential role in removing barriers to VA benefits, such as:
• Lack of evidence to “service-connect” their injuries or disabilities.
• Lack of current medical or mental health evidence documenting severity of symptoms for accurate disability ratings.
• VA eligibility determinations for those given less than fully honorable discharges for behaviors that were related to minor disciplinary infractions or symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress or other service-related disabilities.
- CLE Credit Comments: CLE-GA Credits Credit Status: Approved Total Credits: 6.00 General: 6.00
Practising Law Institute