This website supports lawyers who are providing pro bono assistance to individuals seeking asylum in the United States. To apply for membership to this site, click here.
A webinar presentation on how to successfully define a social group for an asylum claim, presented by the Advocates for Human Rights, is also available.
(login required - if you are not currently a member of probono.net/Asylum, please join now!)
There are more people fleeing persecution today than at any time since World War II. As the need for help becomes more critical, however, countries with traditionally liberal asylum policies, among them the United States, have developed new barriers to turn away refugees seeking protection.
Collectively, volunteer and staff lawyers working with our host organizations represent more than 1,500 clients from more than 70 countries. These cases generally involve representation of an individual seeking asylum, including preparation of an application with a supporting brief and affidavits and a hearing before an INS administrative law judge. These cases provide great training for new litigators and are tremendous opportunities for people interested in human rights issues.
This website contains tremendous online support and resources for its participating lawyers, including news, a calendar of trainings and events, online listings of new cases for volunteers, and an online library of training manuals, briefs and practice materials.
The participants in this practice area come from many of the country's most prestigious law firms and public interest organizations. If you are interested in becoming a part of this growing online community, apply for membership now!
This practice area is maintained by Human Rights First, the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights of the SF Bay Area, Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights, Northwest Immigrant Rights Project and Pro Bono Net with assistance from the Open Society Institute and the law firm of Davis Polk & Wardwell.
- A.G. Schneiderman Secures Agreement with North Babylon Union Free School District to Ensure Equal Educational Opportunities for Students, Jan 12
- Here's the Biggest Immigration Issue That Trump Isn't Talking About, Jan 12
- Border Patrol reports initial results of new Missing Migrant Initiative, Jan 10
- View more
- Optional Training: Volunteer at RAICES' Pro Se Asylum Clinic, Jan 19
- Mandatory Training for RAICES' Pro Se Asylum Clinic Volunteers, Jan 24
- The Central American Refugee Crisis: Human Rights Challenges and Needs in the United States and South of the U.S. - Mexico Border, Jan 26
- Volunteer at RAICES' Pro Se Asylum Clinic, Jan 28