Asian Pacific Islander Legal Outreach *
To Volunteer, Contact:
1121 Mission StreetSan Francisco, CA 94103
- Phone: (415) 567-6255
- Website: http://www.apilegaloutreach.org
Asian Pacific Islander Legal Outreach (formerly Nihonmachi Legal Outreach), is a community-based, social justice organization serving the Asian and Pacific Islander communities of the Greater Bay Area. With a staff of 20 in offices in San Francisco and Oakland, we provide legal, social, and educational services in more than a dozen languages and dialects including Cantonese, Chiu-Chow, Hindi, Ilocano, Japanese, Korean, Lao, Mandarin, Spanish, Tagalog, Taiwanese, Urdu, and Vietnamese.
Founded in 1975, our mission is to promote culturally and linguistically appropriate services for the most marginalized segments of the API community. Our work is currently focused in the areas domestic violence, violence against women, immigration and immigrant rights, senior law and elder abuse, human trafficking, public benefits, and social justice issues.
Pro Bono Project Description:
APILO recruits and trains attorneys and paralegals who provide substantial volunteer legal services to clients.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Alameda, San Francisco, San Mateo
- Area of law: Family & Juvenile, Housing, Immigration & Naturalization, Taxes, Senior
- Populations Served: Children, Communities of Color, Domestic Violence Victims, Immigrants, Lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgender, Low Income, Persons with Disabilities, Women
- Opportunities For: Interpreters, Law Students, Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Cantonese Chinese, Chinese, Mandarin Chinese
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: No
- Training Provided: No
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No