Legal Services of Northern California *
515 12th StreetSacramento, CA 95814
- Phone: 916-551-2140
- Fax: 916-551-2195
- Website: http://www.lsnc.net/
LSNC serves low income individuals, families, and communities through a multidimensional delivery system that employs the efficiencies of telephone hotlines, self-help advocacy through counseling, clinics, pro se materials and community legal education in addition
to direct representation.
LSNC's Senior Legal Hotline (“SLH”) makes extensive use of volunteer advocates to advise and assist older adults throughout Sacramento County. SLH volunteers primarily provide advice and counsel to clients about a variety of civil legal issues. However, volunteers
also have opportunities to provide limited scope representation, including contacting opposing counsel to negotiate basic settlement agreements or drafting letters on behalf of clients.
Interested attorneys, paralegals, and law students are welcome to inquire about volunteer opportunities with SLH. Retired attorneys who meet certain conditions can maintain active State Bar status without dues through the Pro Bono Practice Program. No prior knowledge of elder law is required; SLH provides extensive training and access to resources. SLH asks volunteer attorneys or paralegals to commit a minimum of four hours per week for one year, with the flexibility to schedule vacations and time off for other personal matters. Law students are invited to apply for internships or externships that coincide with an academic semester or summer break.
For more information about SLH, and LSNC’s Pro Bono opportunities, please visit https://lsnc.net/pro-bono-opportunities
- State(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: California
- Area of law: Civil Rights, Community Development, Consumer, Disability, Employment, Foreclosure, Health, Housing, Life Planning, Public Benefits
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers, Paralegals
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / Supervision Comments: volunteers work under the direct supervision of a LSNC staff attorney
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: Yes
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No