Episcopal Legal Aid
Philadelphia andNorristown, PA 19401
- Phone: (610) 709-6665
- Website: http://www.episcopallegalaid.org
- Email: email@example.com
Episcopal Legal Aid of the Diocese of Pennsylvania, Inc. (“ELA”) is a nonprofit corporation organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes. Specifically, ELA promotes access to justice by bringing pro bono civil legal services to low income residents of Philadelphia and surrounding counties.
ELA’s objectives include: (1) providing free civil legal services to members of the Greater Philadelphia community who are in need of, but lack access to, such services; (2) coordinating with existing programs and initiatives in the Episcopal community to reach individuals in need of legal services; (3) working with service partners of the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania and its individual parishes to expand access to free legal aid and develop relationships with new partners; and (4) developing opportunities to provide information to individuals about their legal rights and ability to access legal resources to address their concerns.
ELA will accomplish these goals by making attorneys available for consultation in places individuals can easily reach or where they have already gathered and feel at ease, at times convenient to them. Most of the over 130 parishes in the Diocese sponsor activities, including food pantries, served meals, thrift stores, day shelters, and rummage sales, at which its community gathers and people of limited economic means are present. ELA attends these events and, in a small private space, an attorney meets with a client and provides advice. With advance publicity by the activity sponsor about the availability of free legal services, participants in need of legal advice will be able to break down the access barriers and meet with a lawyer in a settling where they feel comfortable
Clinics are held in neighborhoods in Philadelphia where clients can meet in confidence with an attorney about their problem at no charge.
Attorneys are sought who can volunteer some time or are interested in donating financially to support the program.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia
- Populations Served: General Public
- Opportunities For: Lawyers
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: No
- Training Provided: No
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Client intake and screening
- Other Project Types: Neighborhood Clinics
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No