Clean Slate Review Project
To Volunteer, Contact:
Pennsylvania Bar Association Pro Bono Office100 South StreetHarrisburg, PA 17101
- Phone: 800-932-0311
- Website: https://www.pabar.org/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers are being sought for a new pro bono project sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Association and Community Legal Services of Philadelphia. The Clean Slate Review Project will provide information and advice to people who may benefit from the new Clean Slate law.
The Clean Slate legislation allows for individuals to petition the courts to have their criminal records sealed if the person has been free from conviction for 10 years for an offense that resulted in a year or more in prison and has paid all court-ordered financial debts. Additionally, the new law allows automatic sealing of records for second or third-degree misdemeanor offenses that included a less than two-year prison sentence if a person has been free from convictions for 10 years, as well as sealing of criminal history records related to charges that resulted in non-convictions.
Attorney volunteers will review the Pennsylvania criminal record of applicants under the program and advise them whether their record qualifies for sealing under the law and what steps need to be taken to start the sealing process.
Volunteers should complete the online Clean Slate Volunteer Attorney Registration form
- State(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Pennsylvania
- Area of law: Employment
- Populations Served: Individuals with criminal histories
- Opportunities For: Lawyers, Senior Lawyers, Small and medium law firm attorneys
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: No
- Training Provided: No
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No