International Families Justice Coalition - QLSP
1001 Fourth Avenue, Suite 4400Seattle, WA 98154
- Phone: 206-849-6885
- Website: https://www.ifjc-us.org/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
IFJC provides assistance to indigent immigrant families in need of domestic relations/family law legal services. The need for these services has been on the rise as Washington State has become a hub of international commerce and international workers. The increase in the immigrant population and immigrants married to U.S. citizens or permanent residents has increased the volume of international families who are subject to Washington domestic relations laws, but have little to no understanding of the process or their rights under the law.
Additionally, language and cultural barriers exacerbate the isolation of non-native family members to protect themselves and their rights under the law. The economic disparities of the parties in divorce can also be exacerbated by these barriers. Many of the clients who would qualify for services or referral from IFJC lack basic knowledge about what they are entitled to at law, or their own obligations under law. This often places the disadvantaged, immigrant spouses in an untenable position of relying on misinformation from others, and economic manipulation by the other spouse.
IFJC is the only non-profit organization focused on 1) maintaining a list of linguistically and culturally competent attorneys, 2) training those attorneys and judges on the international family law issues, and 3) providing direct representation to qualified indigent clients who are subject to divorce proceedings.
- State(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Washington
- Area of law: Family & Juvenile
- Populations Served: Communities of Color, Domestic Violence Victims, Immigrants, Individuals who are not in legal immigration status, Low Income, Women
- Opportunities For: Interpreters, Lawyers
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: Yes
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No