North Penn Legal Services - Lackawanna and Luzerne Counties - Pittston Office
To Volunteer, Contact:
33 North Main StreetSuite 200Pittston, PA 18640
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: (570) 299-4100
- Fax: (570) 824-0001
- Website: http://www.northpennlegal.org
North Penn Legal Services is a nonprofit organization providing civil legal aid to low-income residents of Northeastern Pennsylvania. We provide legal assistance so that people can know their rights and free legal representation in non-criminal matters such as eviction from housing, discrimination, family law, and consumer protection issues.
NPLS provides free legal aid services on civil cases to low-income families, individuals, and groups in Northeastern Pennsylvania every day. Services include individual representation (ranging from document preparation to litigation), information, referral and advice through a telephone helpline, community legal education, and support for those clients who will be taking responsibility for handling some or all aspects of their own issue.
NPLS engages the private bar, social services and community organizations, courts, and advocacy groups to effectively help low-income people with their civil legal needs.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Lackawanna, Luzerne
- Area of law: Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Elder Law, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Housing, Public Benefits, Domestic Violence; Wills & Estates
- Populations Served: Children, Domestic Violence Victims, Elderly, Low Income, Persons with Disabilities, Working poor and unemployed
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers, Paralegals
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- CLE pro bono comments: Beginning in 2019, under a pilot project approved by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, attorneys may receive one (1) CLE credit hour for every five (5) hours of pro bono service completed through Accredited Pro Bono CLE Providers. A maximum of three hours may be applied per compliance period.
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes