Family Violence Appellate Project
To Volunteer, Contact:
1814 Franklin St.Suite 805Oakland, CA 94612
- Phone: 510-858-7358
- Fax: 866-920-3889
- Website: http://www.fvaplaw.org
- Email: Info@fvaplaw.org
Family Violence Appellate Project ("FVAP") is the only organization in California dedicated to domestic violence appeals. We facilitate a statewide delivery system of free appellate representation to domestic violence survivors and provide training and technical assistance to qualified legal services projects ("QLSPs") and others.
• Representation: Co-counseling and full representation. FVAP analyzes cases referred by QLSPs and others for possible appeal. FVAP is available to co-counsel an appeal with the referring agency or represent the client in the appeal.
• Amicus Briefs: FVAP facilitates a coordinated statewide effort to identify domestic violence ("DV") cases of broad importance, draft amicus briefs in collaboration with legal services and other stakeholders, and submit amicus briefs to the appellate courts on behalf of statewide stakeholders.
• Case Publication: FVAP facilitates a coordinated statewide effort to identify unpublished DV cases of broad importance, draft requests for publication in collaboration with legal services and other stakeholders, and submit requests for publication to the appellate courts on behalf of statewide stakeholders.
• Legislative Advocacy: We work in partnership with legal services and domestic violence service providers to amend California's domestic violence statutes.
FVAP provides training on issues pertinent to domestic violence appeals. We can train programs statewide in person or via webinar.
FVAP is available to consult on matters related to domestic violence appeals. This includes both cases at the trial level (e.g., where an appeal is anticipated or a question arises about how to lay a record for a possible appeal) and cases on appeal.
FVAP provides brief services, in-depth consultation, and research support, as well as legal analysis of cases referred to us to identify the existence and strength of legal issues for possible appeal.
FVAP's pro bono opportunities are all available remotely.
- State(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: California
- Area of law: Family & Juvenile, Appellate
- Populations Served: Children, Domestic Violence Victims, Women
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers, Senior Lawyers, Small and medium law firm attorneys
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client intake and screening, Draft legal documents (e.g., briefs), Legal Research, Litigation: Appellate
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes