Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project
To Volunteer, Contact:
438 Main Street7th FloorBuffalo, NY 14202
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: (716) 847-0662
- Fax: (716) 847-0307
- Website: https://www.ecbavlp.com.
- Email: email@example.com
The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) trains, coordinates and assists over 800 local attorneys who help provide free civil legal services in a wide variety of subect areas. Most of our volunteer attorneys handle cases from their own offices. However, some volunteer attorneys volunteer right in VLP's offices and receive closer support and supervision by VLP's staff. VLP also provides volunteer opportunites for law students and paralegals who wish to volunteer in VLP's office. They get a hands on experience, with a great deal of client contact.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, Wyoming
- Area of law: Consumer, Employment, Family & Juvenile, HIV/AIDS, Housing, Immigration & Naturalization, Nonprofit Organizations
- Populations Served: Asylum Seekers, Children, Communities of Color, Detained individuals, Domestic Violence Victims, Elderly, Farm workers, General Public, HIV, Human Trafficking Survivors, Immigrant youth and unaccompanied minors, Immigrants, Individuals who are not in legal immigration status, Individuals with criminal histories, Individuals with physical/mental disabilities, Juveniles, Lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgender, Low Income, Micro-enterprises, Military/Veterans, Native Americans, Nonprofits, Persons with Disabilities, Torture survivors, Women, Working poor and unemployed
- Opportunities For: Interpreters, Law school clinic, Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors, Mentors/consultants, Nonlitigation Projects, Paralegals, Senior Lawyers, Small and medium law firm attorneys
- Need for non-English services: Arabic, Burmese, French, Signers for the deaf: ASL, Signers for the deaf: CDI, Signers for the deaf: Other, Somali, Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / Supervision Comments: VLP maintains a library of free trainings that are only available to our volunteers. VLP is an accredited provider of CLE credit for live and prerecorded trainings.
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- CLE pro bono comments: VLP is an accredited provider of CLE credit for pro bono work.
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Hotline staffing, Litigation: Appellate, Litigation: Trial/Direct Representation, Mentor volunteer lawyers or law students
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No