Cuban American Bar Association Pro Bono Program - CABA
To Volunteer, Contact:
2400 South Dixie Highway, 2nd FloorMiami, FL 33133
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: (305) 646-0046
- Fax: (305) 646-0633
- Website: http://www.cabaprobonoproject.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
CABA Pro Bono Program, Inc. is a 501(C)(3), non-profit organization formed by the Cuban American Bar Association. CABA PBP's mission statement is to assist the underprivileged and those families in our community living within 125% of the poverty guideline, with their legal issues, regardless of their ethnicity. The office has a total staff of three and therefore acts as a point of referral to attorneys who have expressed an interest in taking pro bono cases; most of which are members of the Cuban American Bar Association, but not all. The office performs an "initial" intake interview of the client in order to identify and match each case with an attorney according to their particular legal issue.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Miami-Dade
- Area of law: Immigration & Naturalization, Immigration: work permits, renewal, visitation visas, etc.
- Populations Served: Immigrant youth and unaccompanied minors, Immigrants
- Opportunities For: Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Spanish, A Spanish-speaking attorney (or his staff) is usually required for 90% of the cases referred from our office
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible, 20-25 hours
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- Training / Supervision Comments: What training required for participating lawyer? CABA holds numerous CLE events throughout the year which are at no cost to attorneys who are willing to take pro bono cases, and at a reduced cost to member attorneys of CABA. By attending the CLE events young attorneys are able to further their education in specific areas of the practice of law, and can network with other CABA member attorneys which can be available as mentors for future pro bono cases. What materials must a lawyer review before taking on a matter? CABA Pro Bono Project provides the interested attorney a synopsis of the case before making the actual referral. Where are materials posted? Materials will not be posted Electronic? We supply any sample form or pleading a volunteer attorney may need via e-mail When an attorney takes on a pro bono case referred from CABA Pro Bono, experienced attorney members of CABA are available on a cases by case to help and mentor younger attorneys who have stepped up to the plate and have made the commitment to take on a pro bono case.
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No