Legal Aid Service of Broward County/Coast to Coast Legal Aid of South Florida
To Volunteer, Contact:
491 N. State Rd 7Plantation, FL 33317
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 954-765-8950
- Fax: 954-736-2480
- Website: http://www.browardlegalaid.org
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Broward Lawyers Care is the pro bono project within Legal Aid Service of Broward County and Coast to Coast Legal Aid of South Florida and is the recognized pro bono program in Broward County, Florida. Broward Lawyers Care (BLC) was formed in 1983 as a joint effort of the Broward County Bar Association and Legal Aid.
BLC enables busy attorneys to make a difference in their community through pro bono work. BLC manages the administrative issues so that the attorney's time is spent directly on the clients' legal needs. Services at Legal Aid are designed to help clients build self-sufficiency. When you help a Legal Aid client through our pro bono program, you have the satisfaction of knowing that you are part of a process that is geared towards helping people in need turn their lives around.
BLC takes cases in the areas of Children's Advocacy, Family Law, Housing, Public Benefits, Real Property, Consumer Law, Bankruptcy, Immigration, Tax Controversies and other categories.
To those attorneys who are willing to join our pro bono program, we also serve as resource center and mentor program that allows you to continue you education in law through FREE CLE seminars, trainings and clinics.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Broward
- Area of law: Community Development, Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Disaster and Emergency Assistance, Education, Elder Law, Employment, Environmental, Family & Juvenile, Foreclosure, HIV/AIDS, Homeless, Housing, Immigration & Naturalization, Nonprofit Organizations, Public Benefits, Taxes, Guardianships, Wills and Estates/Probate, Guardian Ad Litem,
- Populations Served: Asylum Seekers, Children, Communities of Color, Domestic Violence Victims, Elderly, General Public, HIV, Immigrant youth and unaccompanied minors, Immigrants, Lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgender, Low Income, Military/Veterans, Native Americans, Nonprofits, Persons with Disabilities, State Residents, Women, Working poor and unemployed
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors, Nonlitigation Projects, Paralegals, Senior Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Farsi, Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Portuguese, Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Evenings, Flexible, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, Weekends
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: Yes
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / Supervision Comments: Training is required for specific clinics.
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Alternative dispute resolution (ADR), Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Client intake and screening, Draft legal documents (e.g., briefs), Hotline staffing, Legal Research, Legislative or policy advocacy, Litigation: Appellate, Litigation: Impact, Litigation: Support (e.g., discovery), Litigation: Trial/Direct Representation, Mentor volunteer lawyers or law students, Prepare legal education materials, Transactional work, Translate legal documents
- Other Project Types: BHRI (Broward Human Rights Initiative), BTAP(Broward Teen Advocacy Project, KInship Project
- Long Distance Opportunities: Conduct Research, Draft or Translate Legal Documents, Mentor Volunteer Lawyers
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes