VLN Spanish Legal Services
To Volunteer, Contact:
Gabriela R. Brunner612-752-6647
600 Nicollet Mall Suite 390AMinneapolis, MN 55402
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 612-752-6677
- Fax: 612-238-2947
- Website: https://www.vlnmn.org/
- Email: email@example.com
VLN Spanish Legal Services is a legal advice line for low-income Spanish speakers. Our volunteer attorneys provide a coordinated legal "first responder" system so our callers receive legal advice or referrals quickly, without being bounced from provider to provider. VLN Spanish Legal Services is a unique collaboration between Volunteer Lawyers Network, Fredrickson & Byron, Lindquist & Vennum, the Minnesota Hispanic Bar Association and CLUES. VLN clients need assistance in a wide variety of areas, including immigration, family, employment and housing law. Clients can call the client intake line on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between 9am-1pm. An intake specialist will screen the client for income and issue eligibility. Clients are then scheduled with volunteer attorneys for brief advice over the phone. Some follow-up services may also be available. Phone advice is offered to clients statewide. Brief services are offered primarily in Hennepin and Ramsey counties.
Please consider becoming a volunteer!
Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Volunteers can call clients back on their own schedule. Volunteers can also schedule in-person appointments with clients as their schedules permit. VLN also offers opportunities to participate in advice only clinics and community presentations.
- State(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Minnesota
- Area of law: Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Housing, Immigration & Naturalization, Public Benefits
- Populations Served: Domestic Violence Victims, Immigrants, Individuals who are not in legal immigration status, Low Income, Women
- Opportunities For: Interpreters, Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors, Paralegals, Senior Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Evenings, Flexible, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, Weekends
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / Supervision Comments: Yes, for some.
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No