New Mexico Legal Aid Volunteer Attorney Program
301 Gold Avenue, SWAlbuquerque, NM 87102
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 505-768-6114
- Website: http://www.nmlegalaid.org
New Mexico Legal Aid is a civil legal advocacy organization dedicated to opening the door to equal access to justice for all disenfranchised and low-income people and communities throughout New Mexico by providing outreach, training, education and quality representation.
The Volunteer Attorney Program receives client referrals from non-profit legal service providers and judges. VAP clients must be New Mexico residents under 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines referred for a non-criminal legal matter. Our volunteer form allows attorneys working with our program to indicate in which areas of the law they are willing to volunteer, and which kinds of volunteer services they are interested in providing. Volunteers are then notified by e-mail when a pro bono referral in one of their volunteer areas is available for consideration.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Bernalillo, Sandoval, Torrance, Valencia
- Area of law: Civil Rights, Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Education, Elder Law, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Foreclosure, Housing, Immigration & Naturalization, Public Benefits, Taxes, Estate Planning, Real Estate
- Populations Served: Low Income, State Residents, Working poor and unemployed
- Opportunities For: Lawyers, Mentors, Senior Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / Supervision Comments: The VAP offers frequent CLE courses in our priority areas, including: Consumer Law; Employment Law; Family Law; Housing Law; Government/Health Benefits Law; Estate & Probate Law; and others. These CLE courses are free to attorneys providing pro bono services through the VAP.
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Draft legal documents (e.g., briefs), Litigation: Appellate, Litigation: Trial/Direct Representation, Mentor volunteer lawyers or law students, Prepare legal education materials
- Other Project Types: Participate in legal fairs
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No