July 2014 Featured Volunteer: LASO Law Students
- Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma
Welcome Oklahoma City Law Office 2014 summer interns!!
LASO is pleased to give recognition to a talented group of law students from The University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma City University: Lars Anderson; Angel McPherson; Telana McCullough; Dalton Rudd; Daniel Resendez; Bo DeBose; Lisa Torneten; and Jordon Soto. Their summer fellowship with LASO is part of a public service initiative program sponsored by the Universities.
“Public service work is an important part of legal education and a key component of one’s legal career,” says Cindy Goble, OKC Managing Attorney. The program allows law students to gain practical work experience while providing them the opportunity to serve their community.
To diversify their internship participation and experience each student received exposure to multiple areas of civil law through these LASO programs:
- ReMerge, a comprehensive female diversion program designed to transform pregnant women and mothers facing incarceration into productive community citizens.
- Pro Se Waiver Divorce Docket, assistance for self-represented litigants appearing for the divorce docket in Oklahoma County.
- Protective Order Clinic for Victim Protective Orders.
- Homeless Legal Assistance Project - advocates for homeless persons in non-criminal matters to overcome legal barriers to housing and to obtain and preserve income.
- Homeless Veterans Program
- Housing Law - Section 8 and public housing issues Research issues in client foreclosure cases
- HIV/AIDS Legal Resource Project which provides free confidential legal assistance to people whose legal issues stem from an HIV diagnosis or AIDS. Also assist with a Wills Clinic.
- Update Community Education materials written for the purpose of giving general legal information to consumers.
Everyone jumped right in and made a big contribution to the OKC law office! You will all have many opportunities to make a difference throughout your legal careers. Thank you!
OCU School of Law: Lars Anderson, Angel McPherson, Telana McCullough, Dalton Rudd, Daniel Resendez, Bo DeBose
OU College of Law: Lisa Torneten, Jordon Soto
- Pro Bono/Legal Services