Oklahoma's New Access to Justice Commission
- Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, Inc.
The Oklahoma Supreme Court signed an Order on March 13, 2014, establishing The Oklahoma Access to Justice Commission.
The Court's Order recognizes that many low-income Oklahomans are unable to receive full representation on civil legal matters due to a lack of funding and fully integrated legal services delivery system.
The Court's leadership in this effort will coordinate and expand the current efforts in our state to increase access to justice in civil matters in Oklahoma. The Access to Justice Commission will serve as a coordinator to assist all participants in developing strategic alliances to effectively move ideas into action.
How will this Commission accomplish it's task?
The Courts Order sets out 8 areas for the Commission to focus its endeavors:
- identify and assess current and future needs for access to justice in civil matters by low-income Oklahomans;
- develop and publish a strategic plan for statewide delivery of civil legal services to low-income Oklahomans;
- foster the development of a statewide integrated civil legal-services delivery system;
- work to increase resources and funding for access to justice in civil matters and to ensure that the resources and funding are applied to the areas of greatest need;
- work to maximize the wise and efficient use of available resources, including the development of local, regional, and statewide coordination systems and systems that encourage the coordination or sharing of resources or funding;
- develop and implement initiatives designed to expand civil access to justice;
- work to reduce barriers to the justice system by addressing existing court rules, procedures, and policies that negatively affect access to justice for low-income Oklahomans; and,
- monitor the effectiveness of the statewide system and services provided and periodically evaluate its progress in fulfilling the civil legal needs of low-income Oklahomans.
Read the Order signed by Chief Justice Tom Colbert here
- Pro Bono/Legal Services