NYLAG Storm Relief
Webinar: Storm Response Pro Bono Training II: Disaster Relief Advocacy and Appeals (Nov 2012)
- Organization: New York Legal Assistance Group
- Author: Alison Sclater at email@example.com
- Document Type: Training materials
- Date Created: Friday, November 16, 2012
- Attachment(s): HTM | PDF
In the aftermath of Sandy, the New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) has mobilized a "Storm Response Unit" to provide disaster relief for storm victims who now face an array of urgent legal issues. We thank you, our pro bono partners, for offering to help us meet the large volume of requests for assistance we continue to receive every day.
As a follow-up to NYLAG's initial storm response training, held on November 9th in partnership with Probono.net, we hosted a second training for pro bono attorneys, law graduates and law students via a live webinar on Friday, November 16th from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m.
This 60-minute training provides a detailed discussion of FEMA and Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster relief advocacy and appeals, including:
• A review of the FEMA and SBA disaster relief application process;
• Tips for helping clients submit robust applications;
• Possible bases for denial or limitation of claims;
• Avenues of advocacy while an application is pending; and
• Preparing appeals if a claim is denied or is inadequate.
The training also includes important updates to topics discussed in NYLAG's first webinar (e.g., unemployment benefits, housing, and more). It will be presumed that participants have watched NYLAG's initial storm response webinar, or attended other introductory training on storm-related legal services. Video of and materials from NYLAG and Probono.net's first storm response webinar are available at: www.probono.net/nylagstormrelief.
- Public Benefits