Pro Bono Net is Hiring!
Thursday, March 25, 2010
- Pro Bono Net
Pro Bono Net – Pro Bono and Special Initiatives Coordinator
Rolling application deadline. March 2010.
Pro Bono Net, a national nonprofit organization using innovative technology to increase legal assistance for poor persons, seeks a highly qualified candidate to spearhead pro bono recruitment campaign and support and maintain partnerships with nonprofit legal aid organizations in New York and nationally building legal resource web sites to serve pro bono, legal aid and human rights advocates. This position is full-time and is based in New York City.
Pro Bono Net is a national nonprofit organization based in New York City. We work in close partnership with nonprofit legal organizations across the United States and Canada, to increase access to justice for the millions of poor people who face legal problems every year without help from a lawyer. We do this by (i) supporting the innovative and effective use of technology by the nonprofit legal sector, (ii) increasing participation by volunteers, and (iii) facilitating collaborations among nonprofit legal organizations and advocates working on similar issues or in the same region.
Currently almost thirty regions are using our LawHelp.org and probono.net web platforms to build web-based self-help legal resources for low-income persons facing legal problems, as well as online support forums for legal advocates working on behalf of the poor. Started in New York originally, these online resources bring together representatives from legal services programs, pro bono projects, courts, law schools, libraries and social service organizations across the state to collaborate and coordinate their development. To view existing initiatives, visit www.lawhelp.org and www.probono.net. For information about Pro Bono Net’s overall programs, visit our Mission page.
New York Program Development and Support
- Coordinate and support online activities of over 15 different pro bono and legal aid programs that are hosting substantive law practice areas on www.probono.net/ny;
- Spearhead development of new online practice areas on www.probono.net/ny to support private bar and public interest collaboration in New York.
- Work closely with partner organizations in New York to leverage Pro Bono Net’s online resources for pro bono recruitment and support.
- Facilitate discussions among service providers, courts, and community organizations regarding creating and sharing online resources on www.probono.net/ny.
- Coordinate the activities of the NYC Pro Bono Center (www.probono.net/ny/nyc), including monthly partner meetings, outreach for content, and managing e-communications strategies including monthly e-newsletter and other email alerts.
- Coordinate the Pro Bono in New York webinar series, conducted in partnership with local providers to increase the number of attorneys involved in pro bono work in New York.
- Participate in committees and network meetings for New York City and State organizations interested in pro bono.
- Participate in program support for www.lawhelp.org/ny.
National Program Development and Support
- Coordinate and support key national and international initiatives that host substantive law practice areas on probono.net, including new initiatives in areas of foreclosure, veterans law and networking for deferred law firm associates serving as public interest fellows.
- Identify and develop opportunities for new collaborations and program expansion.
- Make presentations at law firms, law schools, conferences, and other venues to encourage pro bono involvement and educate the private bar about resources to support volunteers.
- Participate in program support for state www.lawhelp.org projects as needed.
Capacity-Building and Administration
- Work with host organizations and other PBN staff to identify improvements and new features on the probono.net and LawHelp.org platforms.
- Contribute to an online support site and listserv for partners with resources on best practices for technology solutions to pro bono and legal services challenges.
- Collaborate with other PBN program staff to design and deliver trainings for probono.net and LawHelp.org partners.
- Maintain reporting systems to document work and share knowledge in an efficient manner.
- Participate in program funding activities, including grant writing and reporting.
- Participate in national industry email lists and other social networks.
- Provide technical assistance to New York and national projects on effective use of Pro Bono Net’s online tools.
- JD and/or 3+ years experience in legal services or nonprofit legal organization required; experience in pro bono program management preferred.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Strong self-motivation and initiative required.
- Very web-savvy and fluent in the discussion of web-based tools required.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with people and coordinate team projects.
- Demonstrated multi-tasking and prioritization skills.
- Demonstrated ability and strong interest in using technology to support innovative approaches to service delivery.
- Sense of humor required.
Pro Bono Net is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Email resume, references, and cover letter to email@example.com. No calls or faxes please.