Deputy Unit Director, Individual Representation, Housing - Brooklyn Legal Services Corp. A
Brooklyn Legal Services Corporation A (Brooklyn A) seeks a Deputy Unit Director for its Individual
Representation Unit of its Preserving Affordable Housing Program.
Since 1968, Brooklyn A has provided free legal services for low-income residents and
organizations of Brooklyn, pursuing a uniquely neighborhood-based mission of justice,
empowerment and community development.
Brooklyn A’s Individual Representation Unit has a 50-year history of meaningful and impactful work
on housing law issues. We understand the dilemma that individuals and families face when stable
housing is lost. Families at risk of homelessness are provided high quality legal representation
and aggressive advocacy that stop evictions and preserve affordable housing. In the face of a
rising tide of gentrification and tenant displacement there is a crucial need for effective advocacy to
insure the best possible outcome in each case through legal research, drafting documents,
pleadings, motions and briefs with knowledge of legal procedures.
The Deputy Unit Director will work closely with the Unit Director in the management and leadership
of the Unit with the following duties:
• Assist in the coordination and supervision of all Unit work, including regular Unit meetings
and case reviews, appropriate case coverage, and formulation of legal strategy.
• Assist with oversight of Unit’s intake, referral policies and procedures.
• Assist with supervision of the Unit members, including regular individual case reviews, and
contributing towards periodic and annual evaluations of Unit staff.
• Contribute and comment on an annual work plan for Unit prepared by the Unit Director.
• Assist in developing and implementing a strategic vision for the Unit’s work, including all
aspects of the Unit’s advocacy and representation of its clients.
• Assist with the supervision and coordination of the Unit’s use of law fellows, externs, and
student interns both in the summer and throughout the year.
• Assist with the management of Unit’s pro bono collaborations and other inter-organizational
• Serve as Acting Unit Director in the absence of the Unit Director
• Provide counsel and full representation legal services to new and existing clients as well as
represent clients in a professional and expedient manner while maintaining express
• Collaborate closely with and support the Unit Director’s development, evolution and
achievement of unit mission, vision, goals, growth, and priorities.
• Participate in, assist with, and support managerial efforts in the development and
implementation of the unit’s goals, growth, and priorities.
• Help instill and maintain a high level of professional development, pride, motivation, and
camaraderie among the Unit’s staff.
• Appropriately represent the Unit and organization to the greater community including but not
limited to colleagues in the practice area, elected officials, and the media.
Applicants must have the following qualifications:
• Relevant and demonstrated expertise in housing litigation with a minimum of five years of legal
practice after law school graduation
• Capacity to supervise a team of attorneys, paralegals and administrative staff.
• Excellent legal writing, litigation and advocacy skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly in the supervision and oversight of legal/advocacy
• Effective communication skills, including the ability to work with people in desperate crisis
• Ability to work independently with strong motivation, to manage and supervise case loads and
launch innovative legal and community advocacy efforts
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with individuals from diverse backgrounds and
• Admission to the bar of the State of New York or eligible for admission
Brooklyn A is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal
employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, religion/creed, color, national
origin, gender, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, predisposing genetic
characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status. Excellent health and other
To apply, forward a cover letter with your resume to:
Human Resources Department
Brooklyn Legal Services Corporation A
Put ‘Individual Representation Deputy Unit Director’ in the subject line