Staff Attorneys, Housing - Bronx Legal Services
Bronx Legal Services' Housing Unit is hiring attorneys to work as part of New York City's Universal Access to Counsel in Housing Court initiative (UAC), which seeks to provide legal assistance to all tenants facing eviction in court. UAC attorneys will primarily litigate cases in housing court, administrative forums and other state and federal courts on behalf of people facing eviction, and may also litigate affirmative cases challenging agencies and actors who threaten Bronx residents' ability to obtain and retain affordable housing.
The Housing Unit is also hiring attorneys for its Tenant Rights Coalition (TRC), which seeks to combat tenant harassment and displacement through individual representation, as well as representation of tenant groups in affirmative litigation to address building-wide issues that could include repairs, overcharges or other issues. TRC attorneys work closely with community-based organizers.
The anticipated start date for this position is March 2019, but an earlier start date may be available for candidates with two or more years of experience in NYC eviction defense practice.
Experience and Qualifications:
The successful candidate will have:
- A commitment to public service and an understanding of the legal problems and needs of the poor;
- The ability to communicate effectively with a low-income client community;
- Excellent analytical, writing, and communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle a diverse, fast-paced, and high-volume case load.
- Experience in housing, landlord/tenant and or related advocacy, preferred; and
- Fluency in Spanish or another language commonly spoken in the communities we serve is strongly preferred.
- Salary is determined by a collective bargaining agreement.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, at least one recent writing sample and the names of three references via e-mail to Sandra Sanchez, email@example.com. The e-mail should include "Bronx Housing Attorney Position" in the subject line. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls.
Bronx Legal Services is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, gay, lesbian, and transgender people are all welcome and encouraged to apply.