Deputy Director, Tenant Rights Coalition - Brooklyn Legal Services
Brooklyn Legal Services seeks a temporary Deputy Director for its Tenant Rights Coalition in our Brownsville, Brooklyn office.
About Us: Brooklyn Legal Services, part of Legal Services NYC (LSNYC), provides high-quality, innovative representation to address the pressing legal needs of Brooklyn's diverse low income population. BLS focuses on the problems that have the greatest impact on our clients, e.g., preserving affordable and decent housing, maintaining income support, redressing abusive lending and consumer practices, promoting family stability and mitigating the effects of domestic violence, and advocating for the disabled.
LSNYC prides itself on its Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) efforts. As a social justice organization, we are committed to fighting for a workplace that is as diverse, equitable, and inclusive as possible for everyone. Our DEI committee and numerous affinity groups work to foster collegial relationships among staff and allow staff to explore and advocate for racial justice and anti-oppression growth within our organization and through our legal work. All employees are expected to learn about, seek to understand and work to realize our DEI goals.
The Tenant Rights Coalition (TRC) is dedicated to tenant anti-displacement work in neighborhoods rezoned in recent years. The TRC, which is based in Brownsville, has approximately 25 staff comprised of supervisors, attorneys, paralegals, and support staff. Our dedicated staff of housing advocates works with individuals and tenant groups to prevent evictions and support collective tenant action, often in partnership with community based organizers and tenant associations. The work of the TRC focuses on Brownsville, East New York, Flatbush, East Flatbush, and surrounding neighborhoods.
Role & Responsibilities:
The temporary Deputy Director will work to support the unit's existing advocacy efforts as well as be responsible for broadening the unit's work. The TRC Deputy Director will work together with the TRC Director and four other Deputies to, among other responsibilities:
- Collaborate with staff to shape the direction of the unit to fulfill its mission;
- Manage daily operations of the team;
- Work in coordination with BLS' Director of Litigation to identify and pursue impact litigation;
- Work collaboratively with and support LSNYC's citywide housing practice;
- Supervise attorneys and paralegals in a range of litigation, including affirmative group litigation, individual client eviction defense in Housing Court, administrative proceedings, and affirmative litigation in State and Federal Court;
- Identify systemic housing-related trends that could be affected by strategic litigation;
- Develop and strengthen relationships with community partners, elected officials, and agency officials;
- Some required evening and weekend work for tenant and community meetings; and,
- Perform administrative and grant responsibilities.
Every supervisor is expected to actively engage in learning and become increasingly skilled in supervision that supports diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Deputy Director’s duties will include actively working to advance LSNYC’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion goals.
Experience & Qualifications:
We seek an attorney admitted to the New York State Bar with:
- A demonstrated passion for social justice and a commitment to working with low income communities and communities of color to advance equity;
- Minimum of 5 years of housing litigation experience;
- Excellent legal writing, litigation, and advocacy skills;
- Strong interpersonal, teaching/training, and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated expertise in local, state, and federal housing law and policy, housing court practice, housing programs and subsidies, and public benefits;
- Background in organizing or strong ties to Brooklyn's low-income communities (preferred);
- Prior supervisory experience, experience working with grassroots organizations, experience supporting community-based organizing, and experience with policy, legislative, and media advocacy, are strongly preferred; and.
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language commonly spoken in the communities we serve is also preferred.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to email@example.com. Please write “TRC Deputy Director” in the subject line of the email.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
BLS offers an excellent benefits package and a highly competitive public interest salary. We offer excellent benefits, including health, dental, and vision plans; contributions to a 403(b) plan; and generous leave time. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Brooklyn Legal Services is an equal opportunity employer: people of color; women; people with disabilities; gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people; and people over the age of 40 are welcome and encouraged to apply. We are committed to race, gender, and economic justice in our work and within our workplace. Staff members who are not managers are members of the LSSA/NOLSW UAW Local 2320.
Please note, to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and clients, LSNYC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a medical or religious exemption is approved.
Additional information about the practice may be found on our website, www.legalservicsnyc.org.
Salary Range: $ 112,000 - $178,000 (based on years of experience)
See original post here.