Housing Benefits Advocate - Urban Justice Center
The Safety Net Project (SNP) is seeking a Housing Benefits Advocate who is looking for a creative and non-traditional environment, working with passionate and dedicated advocates in the fight against gentrification, displacement, and racist housing systems. SNP’s Housing Benefits Advocates help stop evictions by securing emergency rent arrears assistance and housing subsidies for tenants, and by addressing benefits and subsidy issues related to the tenant’s eviction case.
SNP provides direct legal and social services in the areas of public benefits access, homelessness, and tenant rights. SNP also engages in policy advocacy and community organizing led by impacted community members. SNP is one of NYC’s Right to Counsel providers representing tenants facing eviction and is also active in various grassroots organizing campaigns fighting for systemic change.
- Help clients obtain emergency rental arrears assistance through government programs and private charities;
- Prepare and submit housing subsidy applications;
- Engage in zealous advocacy with City agencies to secure assistance and resolve public benefits and housing subsidy issues;
- Communicate with clients, manage referrals and appointments, and conduct intake for benefits issues.
- Aptitude for tenacious, client-centered advocacy;
- Ability to quickly learn the regulations and processes of New York City’s public benefits and housing subsidy systems;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Strong anti-oppression and social justice analysis and lens, including a deep commitment to racial justice and housing justice work;
- Ability to respond sensitively to the urgent needs of clients;
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, including flexibility and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment handling a docket of housing benefits advocacy cases;
- Spanish proficiency or a commitment to learn Spanish is strongly preferred
SALARY AND COMPENSATION
A competitive salary based on experience and excellent benefits package are available, with generous vacation, personal, and sick time, along with industry leading medical and dental coverage. The salary range for this position is between $48,825 – $74,025, based on experience. This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW, Local 2320. Subject to work needs, the Safety Net Project also offers flexible hours and remote work options. The Safety Net Project is an equal opportunity employer. SNP encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds, including women, people of color, immigrants, domestic violence survivors, people with disabilities, LGBTQI+ people, people from low-income backgrounds, and people with personal experience with the criminal justice system. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities we serve, of homelessness or housing instability, or of the benefits system. COVID-19 vaccination is required, subject to applicable law.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter by e-mail to SNPhiring [at] urbanjustice.org. The subject line of the email must include: “Housing Benefits Advocate Position.” We welcome applicants to inform us in their emails if they require any special accommodations in order to fully participate in the hiring process. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and must be submitted by November 11, 2022. Unfortunately, due to the high volume, we are unable to respond to inquiries and will contact only those candidates selected for consideration.
Please see original post here.