Staff Attorneys, Tenant Rights Coalition - Bronx Legal Services
Bronx Legal Services is seeking staff attorneys to work in its Tenant Rights Coalition.
Bronx Legal Services is the largest provider of free civil legal services in the borough and is part of Legal Services NYC’s network of local programs throughout New York City. Bronx Legal Services’ mission is to fight poverty and seek racial, social, and economic justice on behalf of low-income New Yorkers.
Bronx Legal Services Tenant Rights Coalition (TRC) works on anti-displacement advocacy in the Bronx, focusing on supporting Bronx communities facing significant housing needs in light of rapid and potentially disruptive neighborhood changes and gentrification.
Position & Responsibilities:
We are currently hiring law graduates or attorneys who are excited to work in a fast-paced environment and use creative strategies in the pursuit of justice. Responsibilities include representing clients in both individual housing matters, including eviction defense proceedings, and multi-plaintiff affirmative cases to address repairs, overcharges, harassment, and more. The TRC attorneys will appear in civil, supreme, and federal court as well as administrative proceedings.
The TRC staff attorneys will be expected to work closely with tenant organizers, tenant associations, and community partners to identify and address housing needs. The attorneys may conduct weekday, evening, and weekend outreach and off-site intake with our partners. The attorneys will also be expected to perform trainings for other advocates, tenant associations, community members, and community groups.
The successful candidates should have:
- A commitment to public service and an understanding of the legal problems and needs of the poor;
- The ability to communicate effectively with low-income client communities and communities of color;
- Excellent analytical, writing, and communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle a diverse, fast-paced, and high volume caseload;
- Experience working with community-based organizations and/or enthusiasm for partnering with community-based advocates and organizations;
- Experience and/or enthusiasm for working on advocacy in teams;
- Experience in housing, landlord/tenant, and or related advocacy, preferred; and
- Fluency in Spanish or another language commonly spoken in the communities we serve is strongly preferred. Salary is determined by a collective bargaining agreement.
Please note, to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and clients, LSNYC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a medical or religious exemption is approved
How to Apply
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, at least one recent writing sample, and the names of three references via e-mail to Sandra Sanchez, firstname.lastname@example.org. The e-mail should include “TRC Attorney Position” in the subject line.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls. Bronx Legal Services is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, gay, lesbian, people over 40, and transgender people are all welcome and encouraged to apply.
SALARY RANGE: $73,593-$133,304
See original post here.