JOB OPENING: Staff Attorney (reposted)
Monday, May 21, 2007
- Organization: Day One
Day One seeks a Staff Attorney to deliver direct legal services to young victims of domestic violence. The attorney must be an experienced advocate who works equally well with young people, community leaders, social service providers and volunteers. The Staff Attorney reports to the Executive Director of Day One and supervises a Program Assistant and volunteers.
Day One partners with New York City youth to end dating abuse and domestic violence through community education, supportive services, legal advocacy and leadership development. All of Day One's programs operate on an empowerment model that invests young people in maintaining safe relationships for themselves and their peers. Day One's Community Education Program trains youth and adults about dating abuse and the law, and collaborates with interdisciplinary advocates through its Coalition Against Teen Relationship Abuse. Serving citywide youth between the ages of 12 and 22, the Legal Services Program provides direct representation, advice and information to youth. Through the Peer Leadership Program, Day One organizes youth who participate in implementing preventive education and awareness projects among their peers.
Responsibilities of Staff Attorney
· Representing clients in domestic violence-related court proceedings
· Providing advice, safety planning and/or referral services to young people
· Coordinating interdisciplinary partnership with youth-serving providers offering counseling and therapeutic services
· Conducting community outreach and awareness activities related to teen relationship abuse.
· Assisting in implementation of preventive education programs among adults and professionals
· Forging collaborations with other community-based organizations
· Coordinating the bimonthly Coalition Against Teen Relationship Abuse
· Developing materials for volunteers, clients and the community at large
· Legal research and writing
· Legal background working with youth and/or domestic violence victims
· Admission to the New York State Bar
· Bilingual in Spanish and English strongly preferred
· Knowledge of additional areas of law including housing, public benefits and immigration a plus
· Strong research, writing and verbal communication skills
· Creativity, energy, and a sense of humor
· Background working with individuals in crisis, indigent communities and diverse groups of people
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and dependent on experience. Day One offers a generous benefits package, including but not limited to health, dental and flexible spending accounts, 401(k), 403(b) retirement plan and generous vacation.
To Apply: Email, as a single Word attachment, both a resume and a cover letter to Snilva@dayoneny.org, including current salary. Letters/resumes can be mailed to Day One, P.O. Box 538, Church Street Station, New York, NY 10008. We regret that only applicants considered for the position will be contacted by Day One. Day One is an Equal Opportunity Employer.