JOB OPENING: Staff Attorney
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
- Her Justice
- Source: New York > Family Justice/DV
inMotion Staff Attorney
We seek a member of the New York Bar who is bilingual in Spanish and English and has litigated complex family law
and matrimonial cases in New York for a minimum of three years. This individual should have substantial experience representing indigent clients and, ideally, be familiar with domestic violence, public benefits,
immigration and housing law issues. We value strong organizational, inter-personal, communication, writing and
The staff attorney will:
• Recruit volunteer attorneys from large law firms and corporations to provide pro bono representation to inMotion clients by making presentations and conducting CLE trainings in the areas of family and matrimonial;
• Mentor and support volunteer attorneys who are handling complex cases in these substantive areas;
• Provide telephone counsel and advice and/or brief services to women who are proceeding pro se law for inMotion clients in family and matrimonial law matters;
• Perform client intake and assist in placing cases with volunteer attorneys;
• Assist in recruiting, training and supervising in-house volunteer lawyers and law students;
• Participate in inMotion's workshops, walk-in clinics and community information initiatives; and
• Serve on committees, task forces and panels relating to policy issues and/or reform efforts.
Since 1993, inMotion has helped thousands of women free themselves from abusive relationships, stay in their homes and win the financial support to which they-and their children-are legally entitled. Our mission is to make a real and lasting difference in the lives of women-low-income, under-served, abused-by offering them legal and social services designed to foster equal access to justice and an empowered approach to life. We fulfill our mission by providing free legal services, primarily in the areas of matrimonial, family and immigration law, and intensive social work support in a way that acknowledges mutual respect, encourages personal growth, and nurtures individual and collective strength. Informed by this work, inMotion promotes policies that make our society more responsive to the legal issues confronting the women we serve.
Commensurate with experience. Full benefits and liberal vacation policy.
Send resume and cover letter to Heidi Lee Henderson, Esq., Director, Legal Services, by fax: 212-695-9519 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
InMotion is an equal opportunity employer.