JOB OPENING: Economic Justice Fellow
Friday, July 07, 2006
- Sanctuary for Families' Center for Battered Women's Legal Services
- Source: New York > Family Justice/DV
Notice of full-time employment opportunity:
Economic Justice Fellow
Since 1984 Sanctuary for Families has provided shelter, counseling, and children's programming to battered women and their children. The Center for Battered Women's Legal Services, founded in 1988, provides representation and advocacy to domestic violence victims in family, immigration, public benefits and matrimonial proceedings. Sanctuary for Families' Legal Center seeks a motivated individual with a commitment to legal and economic justice for domestic violence victims to assist the Matrimonial Project Director and the Senior Staff Attorney in all aspects of project administration and client case management.
Responsibilities include legal assistance and non-legal advocacy and case management for domestic violence victims as well as administrative and litigation support and intra-agency collaboration around clients' economic justice needs.
Specific activities include:
- Drafting legal documents and letters, specifically in divorce procedures; assisting matrimonial attorneys with trial preparation and filing of court papers;
- Client intake, and non-legal advice;
- Responding to emergency needs of clients and advocating for clients' non-legal matters including economic, educational, employment and housing needs; and,
- General clerical and administrative tasks, including data and file management.
Bright, conscientious, individual who enjoys the challenge of working directly with clients and is able to work at several tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment; commitment to supporting domestic violence victims and securing their legal rights; ability to think and work independently; strong writing skills necessary; knowledge of computers; experience with excel and access spreadsheets; fluency in Spanish a plus; maturity and discretion is crucial as individual may have access to confidential information. A Bachelors Degree is preferred. A graduate degree in women's studies, law, and/or human rights is preferred. Compensation will be based on experience.
Fax or e-mail resume with short cover letter to:
Laura A. Russell, Esq., Matrimonial Director
Sanctuary for Families' Center for Battered Women's Legal Services
Fax: (212) 566-0344
Sanctuary for Families is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.