Catastrophe and the Law: What Lawyers Need to Know to Advise Clients To Prepare and Respond to Disasters 2013
- 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
- Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- By: Practising Law Institute
Practising Law Institute
Why you should attend
Superstorm Sandy. Hurricane Katrina. Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill. 9/11. Disasters of extraordinary severity have occurred over the last several years. This PLI program will provide a detailed review of the many legal issues that affect clients as a result of a catastrophe. An understanding of these issues will help attorneys prepare their clients even before an event occurs, when drafting leases, real estate agreements or commercial contracts.
What you will learn
This program will provide the most up to date information to help attorneys advise their clients to prepare for and address the legal issues arising from a catastrophe. Among the topics to be covered are:
• Mandatory evacuation orders and their consequences
• FEMA, state and local emergency response measures
• Municipal authority to condemn housing, remove debris and charge property owners
• FEMA and other government benefits and services
• Commercial and residential real estate litigation resulting from a disaster, including issues relating to the landlord's duty to repair, lease termination, rent payment obligations, tenant abandonment and eviction, buyer/renter remorse, loss of utility service claims
• Loss of certificate of occupancy, remedies and consequences, and rebuilding
• Breach of contract claims arising from breaches caused by the disaster
• Environmental claims, cleanup obligations and litigation
• First responder health and safety issues
• Disposal and recycling of construction and demolition materials, soil, mud, and sand; electronics; white goods; vehicles and marine vessels; building contents; biological wastes; chemicals and mixtures
• Land use, zoning and other planning measures to encourage location-appropriate development
Who should attend
Attorneys who advise individual, business or government clients with respect to real estate or commercial contracts or environmental issues, and attorneys who litigate claims or seek government benefits or redress relating to a catastrophe such as Hurricane Sandy.
Cost: $0.00 *
*There is no cost associated with this program. You can register by visiting our website at www.pli.edu.
PLI's live programs are approved in all states that require mandatory continuing legal education for attorneys. Please visit our website for additional State CLE information.
- CLE Credit Comments: CLE-NY Credits Transitional: Yes Total Credits: 3.50 Professional Practice: 3.50 CLE-NJ Credits Credit Status: Approved Total Credits: 3.90 General: 3.90 PLI's live programs are approved in all states that require mandatory continuing legal education for attorneys. Please visit our website for additional State CLE information.
Leonard McKenziePractising Law Institute212-824-5826
- Website: www.pli.edu