Extreme Risk Protection Orders: What they are & why you should know about them
- 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- By: Empire Justice Center, NY Crime Victims Legal Network
The Red Flag Law, also known as the Extreme Risk Protection Order Law, prevents individuals who are at risk of hurting themselves or others from purchasing or possessing firearms, rifles, or shotguns. This law, which went into effect in August 2019, is an important tool in preventing domestic violence homicides, suicides, and situations of mass violence, but many practitioners still don’t know about Emergency Risk Protection Orders (ERPO) and how to obtain this civil protection order.
This webinar covers topics including:
• What is an ERPO and how is it different from a Family Court Order of Protection
• Who can apply for an ERPO
• The burden of proof and types of facts that support the issuance of an ERPO
We will also offer:
• Practical tips from a municipal law attorney who successfully obtained an ERPO in a case involving a history of intimate partner violence
• Amy Schwartz-Wallace, Esq., Unit Director, Empire Justice Center
• Samuel Alba, Esq., Senior Deputy Attorney, Town of Amherst
- CLE Credit Comments: Empire Justice Center has been certified by the New York State Continuing Legal Education Board as an Accredited Provider of continuing legal education in the State of New York. This program has been approved for 1 CLE towards Professional Practice in accordance to the requirements of the Continued Education Board. This course is appropriate for both new and experienced attorneys.
Amy Schwartz-Wallace, Esq.Empire Justice Center