Navigating Bankruptcy & Student Loan Solutions with Survivors - Part 1 Bankruptcy & Alternatives for Survivors
- 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- By: Center for Survivor Agency & Justice
WebinarMap:New York, NY
Given what we know about the economic hardship survivors face as a result of abuse – debt in particular – filing bankruptcy can be a powerful tool for survivors to obtain relief. However, there are important safety and privacy factors to consider, alternatives to weigh, and handling and enforcing debt relief in family or domestic violence courts is often limited, while bankruptcy law can feel unfamiliar or inaccessible to many attorneys and advocates working with survivors.
In this webinar, Karen Tjapkes will unpack the bankruptcy process, share legal remedies and strategies, and walk through case scenarios in order to enhance individual survivor centered economic advocacy.
Attendees will walk away from Part 1:
- More familiar with concepts in bankruptcy.
- Able to identify when bankruptcy might be an option to address debt facing survivors.
- Having explored the connection between bankruptcy and family law, identifying and discussing key strategies in case scenarios.
- Equipped with unique or innovative practices from group discussion.