Disaster Legal Aid 2018 Roundtable Series: Disaster Recovery and Recoupments
- 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- By: Pro Bono Net, Lone Star Legal Aid, LSC
- Source: National Disaster Legal Aid > National Disaster Legal Aid Advocacy Center
Join us for our third disaster legal aid roundtable discussion, hosted by Pro Bono Net, Lone Star Legal Aid, and LSC.
Building on past discussions of sources of disaster recovery funding, this discussion will review what happens when an agency providing that funding believes it has given an individual funding in error. We will discuss the “sequence of delivery” from the Stafford Act, other sources of law on federal agencies’ authority to investigate and reclaim alleged disaster recovery assistance overpayments, the ways in which recoupment allegations have played out for survivors of Sandy, and the ways in which differing duplication of benefit policies across agencies and administering entities complicates and frustrates recovery.
The goal of this roundtable is to provide a starting point or refresher on recoupment law and policy, and discuss some policy solutions to help simplify, expedite and improve the fairness in individual disaster recovery.
- Jessica Limbacher, Esq.; Staff Attorney, Volunteer Lawyers for Justice
- Aaron Scheinwald; Acting Director, Storm Response Unit, New York Legal Assistance Group
For details, please visit https://www.disasterlegalaid.org/advocates/roundtables/.
- Website: www.disasterlegalaid.org