Utilizing FOIA/FOIL in your Practice
- Legal Skills
This session will examine the various devices for obtaining information from all levels of government under the
- Federal Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
- New York State Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)
- Federal Privacy Act, and
- New York State Personal Privacy Protection Law (PPPL)
The training will review the scope of information available, the framing of requests, the timetable for responses, the limitations on fees charged for records, and the appeals process, with examples of how these mechanisms can enhance administrative advocacy and litigation.
- Eugene Doyle - Social Worker, People Organized for Our Rights, Inc.
- Ian Feldman - Director of Legal Services, Mental Health Project
- Joanna Feldman - Senior Associate, McCullough, Goldberger & Staudt, LLP
- Sonia Lin - Clinical Teaching Fellow, Cardozo School of Law