Volunteer to Defend Asian American Voting Rights
Tuesday November 05
- By: Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Time: 6:00 AM - 9:00 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
New York City, New Jersey, and Virginia, United StatesMap: maps.google.com
The Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund is seeking volunteer attorneys, law and undergraduate students, and community volunteers to assist in monitoring poll sites during the elections in NYC, NJ, and Virginia on November 5 to assess compliance with the federal Voting Rights Act. Attorneys and law students can receive pro bono credits or free CLE (including ethics) credits.
In past elections, Asian Americans have faced a series of barriers in exercising their right to vote. For example, poll workers were hostile and made racist remarks, poll sites had too few interpreters to assist Asian American voters, translated voting materials were missing or hidden from voters, and ballots were mistranslated.
Volunteers are needed to inspect poll sites for required language assistance, interview voters, and document instances of anti-Asian American voter discrimination. Bilingual ability in an Asian language is helpful but not required.
There will be a ninety minute training session for all volunteers:
- Tuesday, October 22nd, 12:00PM - Shearman & Sterling, 599 Lexington Avenue, NY, NY
- Thursday, October 24th, 6:00PM - Dickstein & Shapiro, 1825 Eye Street NW, Washington, DC
- Friday, October 25th, 12:00PM - Dickstein Shapiro, 1825 Eye Street NW, Washington, DC
- Tuesday, October 29th, 12:00PM - Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe 51 West 52nd Street, NY, NY
- Wednesday, October 30th, 6:00PM - Weil Gotshal & Manges, 767 5th Avenue, NY, NY
Lunch/light dinner will be provided. All volunteers must be non-partisan during the time that they help. To sign up, go to http://www.aaldef.net/volunteer_monitor_form.aspx.
- Attachment(s): Volunteer Form-AALDEF.doc