ABA Free Legal Answers - West Virginia (Free Online Brief Legal Advice & Counsel)
To Volunteer, Contact:
To volunteer navigate to https://wv.freelegalanswers.org/ and select "Attorney Registration"
Online WebsiteStatewide, WV Statewide
- Phone: n/a
- Website: https://wv.freelegalanswers.org/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Free Legal Answers is a virtual legal advice clinic. Qualifying users post their civil legal question to their state's website. Lawyers provide information and basic legal advice without any expectation of long-term representation. The most common questions posted include family and children, housing and homelessness, consumer financial questions, and health and disability. The purpose of the website is to increase access to advice and information about non-criminal legal matters to those who cannot afford it. There is no fee for the use of the system or for the advice and information provided by the lawyer.
ABA Free Legal Answers (Federal: Immigration and Veterans)
ABA Free Legal Answers is a virtual legal advice clinic in a number of states for state-specific civil legal issues. Qualified users may post legal questions, and authorized volunteer attorneys may provide legal advice. ABA Free Legal Answers’ federal focuses on federal veteran and immigration legal issues.
- Veteran Federal Issues: Veterans—along with eligible dependents and survivors—who meet financial eligibility guidelines may submit questions about veterans’ issues involving discharge upgrades, VA disability and other VA benefits, and more. Volunteer attorneys who are licensed in good standing in their jurisdiction, and who are accredited with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, are eligible to volunteer on the site to view and answer veterans’ questions without any formal representation.
- Immigration: Immigrants or petitioning family members can submit question about deportation, asylum, green cards, work permits, DACA, children’s cases, employment-based immigration, citizenship, and other immigration issues. The ABA has partnered with American Immigration Lawyers Association (“AILA”), whose members are automatically qualified to answer immigration questions on the site.
Find more information and sign up to get involved on https://abafederal.freelegalanswers.org. To help with other state-specific legal issues, visit the main ABA Free Legal Answers website, www.ABAFreeLegalAnswers.org.
- State(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: West Virginia
- Area of law: Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Disaster and Crisis Assistance, Education, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Health, Homeless, Housing, Public Benefits
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: No
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No