Blue Ridge Legal Services Pro Bono Referral Program - Lexington Office
To Volunteer, Contact:
203 North Main StreetLexington, VA 24450
- Map: www.mapquest.com
- Phone: 540-463-7334
- Fax: 540-463-1029
- Website: http://www.brls.org
The Pro Bono Referral Program is an opportunity for private attorneys to participate in the systematic delivery of civil legal services to those who cannot afford to pay and meet professional responsibilities "to make counsel available" pro bono publico to clients who have been pre-screened for financial and legal need. Since 1982 the various local bars in BRLS' service area have assisted thousands of low income clients - in domestic relations, bankruptcy, and other areas, depending on the volunteer attorneys' expertise and interests. This partnership has successfully produced high quality services which are a credit to the bar and the individual lawyers who have given their time. To facilitate your participation, Blue Ridge Legal Services will • Screen applicants for eligibility and case type; • Make an initial evaluation of the merits of the case, and only refer those cases that are meritorious; • Allow you to decline any referral; • Match level of difficulty in the case with your level of experience; • Provide sample pleadings and issue analysis; • Offer you the guidance of an experienced mentor (legal aid or private attorney, depending on the area of law) in the practice field of your referral; • Make available other resources as necessary, such as computer assisted research, co-counseling, etc.; • Keep track of your referrals, specialties and hours of service; • Provide professional liability insurance on referred cases; as secondary insurance for those already covered, as primary insurance for those without other coverage; and • Provide you with Virginia income tax credits equal to 45% of the value of your donated services under the Neighborhood Assistance Program.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Alleghany, Bath, Buena Vista City, Covington City, Lexington City, Rockbridge
- Area of law: Consumer, Family & Juvenile, Public Benefits, Bankruptcies, Child Custody and/or support, Divorce, SSI, Deed Preparation, Will Preparation, Power of Attorney, Advance Directive
- Populations Served: Domestic Violence Victims, Elderly, Low Income, Working poor and unemployed, Homeless
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers, Nonlitigation Projects
- Need for non-English services: Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: No
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No
Download this organization and add it to your address book.
Please report any corrections to this organization's information.