Access Justice Brooklyn
44 Court Street, Suite 1206Brooklyn, NY 11201
- Phone: (718) 624-3894
- Fax: (718) 624-3926
- Website: http://www.brooklynvlp.org
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Access Justice Brooklyn is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing civil legal assistance to those Brooklyn residents who need it most. One of the only legal services organizations that operates borough-wide in Brooklyn, Access Justice Brooklyn recruits, trains and supports volunteer attorneys from the private bar and matches them up with programs designed to meet critical legal needs in our community.
Access Justice Brooklyn volunteers come from every type of legal background. They range from recent law school graduates to the most seasoned attorneys, and include attorneys at large Manhattan law firms and sole practitioners in Brooklyn.
Access Justice Brooklyn has volunteer opportunities in Family Law, Uncontested Divorce, Bankruptcy, CLARO Consumer Debt Clinic, Foreclosure, 17A Guardianship, Elder Law and Senior LEAP. You can learn more about VLP Programs here.
You can access their volunteer intake form online through this link.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: All NYC
- Area of law: Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Elder Law, Family & Juvenile, Foreclosure, Immigration & Naturalization
- Populations Served: Low Income, Brooklyn residents
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors, Senior Lawyers, Small and medium law firm attorneys
- Need for non-English services: Mandarin Chinese, Russian, Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: Yes
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / Supervision Comments: An individual attending a CLE training may attend at no cost if the attendee agrees to accept pro bono referrals within six (6) months of attending the training.
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- CLE pro bono comments: The Brooklyn Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. is an accredited Pro Bono CLE provider. Volunteer attorneys may earn one (1) CLE credit for every six (6) hours donated. A maximum of six (6) CLE credits may be earned in a given year.
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Other Project Types: Family Law (Child support, custody, visitation, Uncontested Divorce), 17A Guardianship (Guardianship of mentally retarded or developmentally disabled adults), Foreclosure Intervention, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, CLARO Consumer Debt Clinic
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes