Tubman Pro Bono Safety Project
To Volunteer, Contact:
4432 Chicago Ave S.Minneapolis, MN 55407
- Phone: 612-870-2424
- Email: email@example.com
The Tubman Safety Project provides high quality pro bono representation to low-income victim survivors seeking civil Orders for Protection who have a compelling need for legal assistance. This program welcomes attorneys from all specialties to volunteer.
Our team of pro bono attorneys represent survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking at order for protection (OFP) and harassment restraining order (HRO) proceedings in Hennepin and Ramsey Counties. Legal advocates at community domestic abuse agencies refer clients to Tubman and support the client and the attorney throughout the case. Tubman screens clients for income eligibility and need for representation and gathers case information. A Tubman staff attorney provides legal support, case consultation and mentoring. Volunteer attorneys typically spend 10 to 20 hours per case, and are not required to have family law experience.
To begin, volunteer attorneys attend a free half-day training and represent at least two clients per year. For upcoming training dates, please visit https://www.tubman.org/give-help/volunteerintern/volunteer-attorney/tubman-safety-project/ or contact Tubman staff directly.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Hennepin, Ramsey
- Area of law: Family, Protection Orders
- Populations Served: Domestic Violence Victims
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers, Senior Lawyers
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: Yes
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Other Case Load Requirements: 2 cases per year
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No