DNA-People's Legal Services' Volunteer Lawyer Program
To Volunteer, Contact:
Barbara Benavidez(928) 774-0653, ext. 4817
2323 E. Greenlaw LaneSuite 1Flagstaff, AZ 86004
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: (928) 774-0653
- Fax: (928) 774-9452
- Website: http://www.dnalegalservices.org/GetInvolved/VolunteerOpportunities/VolunteerLawyersProgram.aspx
Due to limited resources, DNA turns away nearly 3,000 people a year who ask for its help. Attorneys are uniquely qualified to assist people in poverty who experience substantially more legal problems than anyone else in our community - problems often resulting from poverty itself.
Each year, at least 100 volunteer attorneys take a pro bono case in Arizona and New Mexico, through DNA's VLP. DNA practices in Arizona and New Mexico, plus in tribal court in Navajo, Hopi, Havasupai, Hualapai and Jicarilla Apache.
Join DNA's Volunteer Lawyers Program and help someone today. You choose how to be involved.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Apache, Coconino, Navajo
- Area of law: Civil Rights, Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Elder Law, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Foreclosure, Health, Homeless, Housing, Life Planning, Public Benefits, Taxes, Guadian Ad Litem
- Populations Served: Low Income, Native Americans
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors, Senior Lawyers
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / Supervision Comments: Volunteer receive benefits like malpractice coverage, access to Westlaw, secretarial support, travel expenses to defray litigation costs, and free or reduced fee CLE.
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Client intake and screening, Litigation: Support (e.g., discovery), Litigation: Trial/Direct Representation, Transactional work
- Other Project Types: Community Education Presentations, Monthly Self-Help Divorce Clinic
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No