On April 1, 2016, the NC Equal Access to Justice Commission launched the NC Pro Bono Resource Center with the hiring of inaugural director Sylvia Novinsky. The newly-established NC Pro Bono Resource Center will be one of only a handful of statewide pro bono resource centers in the country. The goal of the NC Pro Bono Resource Center is to increase pro bono participation statewide.
In 2010, the North Carolina State Bar adopted Rule 6.1, Voluntary Pro Bono Publico Service, which states in part: “Every lawyer has a professional responsibility to provide legal services to those unable to pay. A lawyer should aspire to render at least (50) hours of pro bono public legal services per year.”
To assist lawyers in fulfilling their professional obligations under Rule 6.1, the Center will develop pro bono projects statewide in partnership with legal aid organizations and community organizations. Initially, the Center will focus on projects in Mecklenburg and Wake counties to match unmet legal needs with recent law school graduates. The Center will also provide support for existing pro bono activities including recruitment, training, and communication and implement voluntary pro bono reporting and recognition programs statewide.
Please note that this website is not intended to serve people seeking legal assistance. Please visit www.lawhelpnc.org for information on legal aid.
- CLE: Cada Voto Cuenta Voter Protection Pro Bono Training State & Federal Voting Rights and Election Laws, Sep 26 - Nov 02
- Forum: Ending Child Poverty Now, Oct 5
- NHCBA Annual Meeting and Pro Bono Awards, Oct 11
- CLE: Custody Advocacy Volunteer Training, Oct 14
- Webinar: The Art & Science of Interviewing Pro Bono Clients 2016, Oct 24 - Oct 28
- View more
- Bill Blancato, Children's Law Center of Central North Carolina Attorney Volunteer, Jun 25
- NC Bar Association Pro Bono Attorneys Represent Eugenics Victims, Jun 25
- NC Bar Association Pro Bono Awards Presented, Jun 24
- Local attorneys boost Legal Aid efforts in Randolph, May 23
- UNC Pro Bono Program Announces 2016 Publico Awards, Apr 13
- View more