Job Title: Director of Business Development
About Pro Bono Net
Nearly 50 million people live in poverty in the US, and millions of others struggle to get by on moderate incomes. Many face problems with a legal dimension such as maintaining safe and affordable housing, securing stable employment, or finding protection from family violence. There is no right to counsel in civil legal matters in the United States, and studies estimate that 80% of the legal needs of low-income people go unmet. This "justice gap" has a profound effect on vulnerable individuals and communities, and increasing access to legal solutions can drive meaningful and lasting change in their lives.
Pro Bono Net (PBN) is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing access to justice. Through innovative technology solutions and expertise in building and mobilizing justice networks, we transform the way legal help reaches the underserved. Our comprehensive programs enable legal advocates to make a stronger impact, increase volunteer participation, and empower the public with resources and self-advocacy tools to solve legal problems. To learn more about our programs and partners, visit https://www.probono.net/about/item.mission.
Pro Bono Net seeks a highly qualified candidate to fill the role of Director of Business Development. The Director of Business Development, in partnership with program managers and others, will lead growth existing and new lines of business. Responsibilities include supporting all aspects of the sales cycle including identifying new prospects for membership and employer client relationships, qualifying prospects, making sales presentations, and securing the sale. The Director of Business Development will work as part of a team to develop product business plans, conduct market research, develop product pricing and positioning strategies, evaluate new market opportunities, launch go-to-market and business development strategies, and grow fee-for-service, subscription-based, and unrestricted revenue.
This position will liaise with PBN's senior management team, including our Development Strategist, and support PBN's diverse customers and partners including AmLaw Top 100 Law firms, state and local courts and governments, national and local nonprofit organizations, unions, and multinational corporations. The Director of Business Development will support the sales and marketing strategies of Pro Bono Net Platforms like Citizenshipworks, Pro Bono Manager, Law Help Interactive, and Remote Legal Connect which currently generate over 40% of Pro Bono Net's ~$5M annual revenue.
This is a full-time position based in New York City (with remote work options available) and includes excellent benefits as well as 4-weeks of paid vacation.
- Generate new revenue for PBN through the sale of products and services, new grants, sponsorships, and other revenue sources.
- Perform high-level market research for PBN products and research public and private fee-for-service partnerships
- Lead the development of PBN product business and sales plans
- Oversee customer/client sales cycle for PBN products in coordination with PBN product leads, PBN marketing and development teams, and contractors
- Partner with program teams to lead the design, planning and execution of business plans, white papers, LOIs and concept papers.
- Maintain a broad technical understanding of products offered by PBN and competitors.
- MBA or 5+ years in Market Research, Business Development, Business Strategy, or similar roles
- Demonstrated ability to develop business plans based on research, data and industry trends
- Demonstrated experience motivating teams and working effectively with cross functional teams
- Creativity and resourcefulness in identifying solutions to client needs
- Familiarity with common Web development technologies and in user-centered design
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with high enthusiasm and consistent follow-through including driving consensus across various stakeholders
- Positive and solution-oriented management style, with ability to thrive, manage change, and be resourceful in a dynamic environment with new challenges to solve
Salary Range: The salary range for this position is $110,000 to $125,000
Interested candidates should send an email with a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Pro Bono Net is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.