Trainings and Events
Working with Domestic Violence Immigrant Survivors: The Intersection of Basic Family Law, Immigration, Benefits, and Housing Issues in California
- 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Pacific Time (US & Canada)
- By: Practising Law Institute
This event will take place online.
- Source: Immigration Advocates Network > IAN Nonprofit Resource Center
- Attorneys / Legal Services
Immigrant domestic violence survivors may require assistance with a constellation of related yet distinct legal issues, more commonly in the areas of family law, domestic violence, housing, and public benefits. While it may be difficult for a single attorney or legal service provider to provide all of these services, it is important to understand the comprehensive and holistic legal needs of an immigrant domestic violence survivor, and the intersectionality between these legal matters. This day-long program will develop the practitioner's understanding of how to provide culturally and linguistically responsive services to immigrant survivors, and provide guidance on how to issue spot various legal issues for immigrant survivors of domestic violence. Experienced domestic violence and language access advocates and legal practitioners in the areas of immigration, family law, public benefits, and housing will share their expertise by providing insight into issues that arise when working with immigrant clients, how these areas of law overlap to provide special protections and remedies to immigrants and domestic violence survivors, and how immigration status impacts eligibility availability of safety net programs for housing, public benefits and healthcare.
This event will take place in San Francisco and will be streamed live. Please see the event page for more details on which viewing option is best for you.
- Cultural and linguistic issues to be aware of when working with immigrant clients generally and specific issues that arise in working with immigrant survivors of domestic violence
- What is domestic violence and how does it impact immigrant and LGBT communities
- What family law issues are implicated when working with immigrant survivors of domestic violence
- What immigration legal remedies and benefits are available for immigrant domestic violence survivors, and recent immigration updates impacting immigrant domestic violence survivors
- How immigration status can impact access to public benefits
- Special housing protections for immigrant domestic violence survivors in the Violence Against Women Act, Fair Housing laws, and other California laws
To register for this event, please click here.