Finger Lakes Volunteer Lawyer Service
To Volunteer, Contact:
Elizabeth A. Hendy(315) 781-1465
361 South Main StreetGeneva, NY 14456Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: (315) 781-1465, 866-781-LAFL (for clients only)
- Fax: (315) 781-2565
- TTY: (315) 781-1465
- Website: http://www.LAWNY.org
- Email: Bhendy@LawNY.org
Law-NY ® is a private, non-profit corporation established to provide access to the justice system for low-income people through quality legal services provided free of charge. We handle civil matters and the Geneva office serves clients in the five counties of Ontario, Wayne, Seneca, Yates and Livingston.
Law-NY ® administers the Finger Lakes Volunteer Lawyer Service (FLVLS), a pro-bono program for private attorneys, who volunteer time to provide free legal services for poor people. Our funding comes from a variety of sources including the Legal Services Corporation, VAWA Federal funding, State DOJ funding, and private donations or foundations.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Wayne, Yates
- Area of law: Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Education, Elder Law, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Foreclosure, Health, Elder Abuse
- Populations Served: Domestic Violence Victims, HIV, Low Income, Persons with Disabilities, Women, Working poor and unemployed, Homeless
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / Supervision Comments: Some programs are eligible for CLE credit, and some are not.
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- CLE pro bono comments: We can award attorneys 1 CLE credit for every 6 hours of approved pro bono work, up to a maximum of 6 credits every 2 years.
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Litigation: Trial/Direct Representation
- Long Distance Opportunities: Conduct Research, Realizar investigación
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes