Administrative Closure: Indefinite Retention and Related Issues
Thursday September 12
- By: AILA
- Time: 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
This event takes place telephonically.Webinar/Teleseminar, United StatesMap: maps.google.com
- Source: Immigration Advocates Network > IAN Nonprofit Resource Center
Congratulations! You succeeded in getting your client's removal case administratively closed. Now what? Your client is still technically in removal proceedings, but the case has been put into a deep sleep with no future hearing date. If your client's name is Rip van Winkle, this might make for an amusing story. But for everyone else, the increasingly common use of administrative closure raises novel and challenging questions for immigration practitioners and their clients.
- Is Admin Closure Right for My Client?
- Consequences of Refusing Admin Closure (i.e., Negative Discretionary Finding)
- The Fate of Pending Applications (Asylum, Cancellation, etc.)
- Employment Authorization and International Travel After Admin Closure
- Will My Non-DACA Client Get Deferred Action?
- How to Withdraw Ethically from Admin Closed Cases
- Restructuring Retainer Agreements to Avoid "Indefinite Retention" in Admin Closed Cases
Invited, not yet confirmed.
- Scott D. Pollock (dl), Chicago, IL
- Holly S. Cooper, Davis, CA
- Elizabeth Holmes, Bloomington, MN
Register by clicking here. If for some reason you need to mail or fax in your registration, you can also download and complete a registration form. If you register online, do not also mail in a registration form. The registration deadline for this seminar is 11:59 pm ET on 9/11/2013.
- CLE Credit Comments: AILA will file for CLE and specialized credit in all jurisdictions with mandatory CLE and specialized requirements. More details about specific approvals will be available here closer to the seminar date.